Avalon Mystery School and CSource Present:
A Course in the Arts of Sacred Magic with Mara Freeman
Avalon is the Inner Temple of the Celtic and British Mysteries. The goal of the Mysteries is the conscious realization of the self as connected with all beings, visible and invisible, on the great Tree of Life, and ultimately with the Source of All. From this understanding comes the power to mediate spiritual energies into the physical plane for healing both ourselves and our world.
A Course in the Arts of Sacred Magic offers you a comprehensive grounding in the Arts of Sacred Magic, including :
- “Walking Between the Worlds” – Opening to the inner dimensions of reality
- An understanding of the mythology and magical lore of Avalon and the Mysteries of Britain
- Ways to form valuable contacts with inner guides, allies and teachers, with an emphasis on the goddesses of Avalon
- Tools for self-awareness and for creating balance and harmony within body & mind
- How to create sacred space
- Meditations that connect you with your deepest Self
- Rituals that will deepen your experience of the Inner Dimensions of Light
- Methods for opening up to higher perception and seership
- Ways to work with ancestors
- Past Life experiences
- Traditional methods of healing
To register for The Arts of Sacred Magic Course,
click on the “Register” button below.
Dates: The course will meet monthly on Saturdays for ten sessions, September 28, 2013 – June 28, 2014. Sessions are two hours long, from 10 a.m.-Noon (Pacific Time). Specific dates are as follows:
- September 28, 2013
- October 26, 2013
- November 30, 2013
- December 28, 2013
- January 25, 2014
- February 22, 2014
- March 29, 2014
- April 26, 2014
- May 31, 2014
- June 28, 2014
Technology: We will use the MaestroConference conferencing platform, which allows interactivity and breakout groups. Also, there will be an online classroom for ongoing discussions and posting among course participants. You will need a telephone with a good connection to call in to the sessions and a computer with Internet connection to view PowerPoint presentations during the sessions and to access the online classroom. Your call-in number and PIN will be provided upon registration. Long distance charges may apply for the telephone calls. You may also use Skype or Google Talk options.
Cost: The course fee is $500. It includes all ten sessions and their recordings, a downloadable copy of the course manual by Mara Freeman, downloadable audio VisionJourney meditations for each session, and admittance to the online classroom. You may register for all 10 sessions for $500 or pay $50 per month. If you opt to pay for all ten at once, you will receive the bonus gift of a downloadable MP3 version of Mara’s Celtic Spirit Meditations CD.
Those who complete the requirements for all 10 sessions will receive a certificate of completion from Avalon Mystery School and a silver vesica piscis pendant, which is the symbol of the two worlds of Heaven and Earth that meet in Avalon. The beautiful pendant has been charged in the waters of the Chalice Well, Glastonbury’s sacred spring.
Instructor: Mara Freeman, M.A., is a British author and teacher of Western esoteric wisdom and spirituality, which she has taught internationally for over thirty years. She is an initiate in the Western Mystery Tradition, an Archdruidess of the Irish Druid Clan of Dana, and Honored Bard with the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids. Her book, Kindling the Celtic Spirit, (Harper SanFrancisco, 2001) has been hailed as the best modern introduction to Celtic spirituality and sacred traditions. A second book, Grail Alchemy: Initiation Through the Celtic Mysteries will be published by Inner Traditions International in 2013.
While living in the United States for 28 years, Mara taught at many universities and learning centers, including the University of Creation Spirituality, Oakland, CA, Omega Institute, NY, Naropa University, CO, and the University of California in Santa Cruz. She now lives in West Wales and leads retreats and pilgrimages in the Celtic countries. In 2005, Mara founded the Avalon Mystery School, a three-year home study program in the Arts of Sacred Magic. A qualified psychologist and astrologer, Mara also offers personal consultations in the Celtic tradition of Anamcara, or soul-guidance work.
Session by Session Description
Session 1 (September 28, 2013): In this session you will be introduced to the Arts of Sacred Magic and learn why these time-honored teachings are a rewarding and fulfilling path to higher consciousness. Foundational practices will prepare you for crossing the threshold into the Inner Planes as well as providing valuable tools that will enhance and empower your daily life. You will begin an ongoing study of Avalon, its mythology and sacred lore, and take your first inner journey there to meet a guide – and perhaps have other significant encounters as well.
- An Introduction to Sacred Magic I: The Hidden Universe
- An Esoteric History of Avalon I: The Isle of Apples
- Creating sacred space; the symbolism of the Circle and the Centre
- The Three Rays of Sacred Magic: Hermetic, Elemental and Mystical
- The Three Forms of Sacred Magic: Meditation, the VisionJourney, and Ritual
Session 2: (October 26, 2013) In this session you will learn more about Sacred Magic and Avalon, and work with a model of Inner Space based on a vertical axis with three levels: Above, Middle, and Below, pictured as the crown, trunk and roots of a Tree of Life, a powerful archetype which we can use to make changes in consciousness in many ways. Through journeying up the Tree we will encounter three extraordinary Powers of Avalon: The Weaver Goddess, the Green Lady, and the Star Guardian. You develop your sacred space further by working with the Altar and the Lamp.
- An Introduction to Sacred Magic II: The Three Worlds & the Tree of Life
- An Esoteric History of Avalon II : The Sacred Mountain and the Mysteries of Glastonbury
- Your Sacred Space: Making the Altar and Lighting the Lamp
Session 3: (November 30, 2013) In this session you will learn more about the Inner Levels as each having Four Directions on a “Wheel of Life.” Each direction has many attributes and practical applications which will broaden both your understanding of the magical dimensions and contribute to your own self-knowledge.
You will learn:
- An Introduction to Sacred Magic III: The Wheel of Life
- An Esoteric History of Avalon III : The Fourfold Island
- The Art of Ritual Clothing
Session 4: (December 28, 2013) In this session, we explore the subtle levels of energy and consciousness on the Inner Planes and learn their practical application to our own energy fields and bodies. Through these methods, we can make subtle yet profound changes of consciousness within ourselves. We also learn about the traditional Celtic method of “walking between the worlds” by using a branch of a sacred tree, and we start to acquire ritual tools for the altar: one for each of the Four Directions, starting with the Wand in the South.
You will learn:
- An Introduction to Sacred Magic IV: Levels of Being and Consciousness
- An Esoteric History of Avalon IV: The Silver Bough
- The Purpose of Ritual Tools
Session 5: (January 25, 2014) In this lesson, we move around the Wheel of Life to the West to discover the different kinds of Beings that dwell within the Inner Dimensions of Reality – a Who’s Who of the Inner Worlds. Then we focus on Morgen, the goddess of Avalon who has her origins in the ancient goddesses of the Sea and the Stars, and take a journey to experience her deep wisdom and love. You will learn how to make a shrine to honor her, and acquire your second ritual tool: the Chalice.
You will learn:
- An Introduction to Sacred Magic V: Dwellers of the Inner Worlds
- An Esoteric History of Avalon V: Morgen of Avalon
- The Divine Mother
- The Meaning of the Chalice
Session 6: (February 22, 2014) In this lesson, we stay in the West of the Wheel of Life, where you will learn about ancient traditions of healing, and the roles played by Morgen and Brighid as healing goddesses in Avalon. You will discover how to experience their powerful energies for yourself. You will also find out how to tune in to your energy field (aura) for cleansing, healing and protection and learn how to send healing energy to another.
You will learn:
- An Introduction to Sacred Magic VI: Healing Traditions in the Ancient World
- An Esoteric History of Avalon VI: Sacred Springs and Holy Wells
- Brighid: Goddess of the Celts, Goddess in Avalon
Session 7: (March 29, 2014) In this lesson, we move to the North of the Wheel of Life, and encounter the Old Woman, the Dark Goddess, who has many names in Celtic and British tradition, and from who we can learn deep wisdom. Here we will prepare for the making of your third ritual tool: the Shield. We will also focus on the art of seership in the ancient world and practice some traditional methods of divination ourselves.
You will learn:
- An Introduction to Sacred Magic VII: The Dark Goddess: Ceridwen, the Cailleach, their sacred places in the land
- An Esoteric History of Avalon VII: Morgen and the Mórrígan
- The arts of seership and divination in the ancient world
- Seership and Divination I: Using intermediary objects: scrying bowl, tarot, runes, etc
- Using oils and incense for ritual and divinatory work
Session 8: (April 26, 2014) In this lesson, we move to the East of the Wheel of Life and learn about Arthur, the Son of Light and Divine King of Britain. These teachings impart a great deal concerning the use of Will, Power and Intention in our lives. Through exploring the esoteric Arthurian tradition, we come to prepare for our fourth ritual tool: the Blade (Dagger or Sword.) We also continue learning about seership and divination through working with our inner senses: clairvoyance, clairaudience, and clairsentience.
You will learn:
- An Introduction to Sacred Magic VIII: The Son of Light
- An Esoteric History of Avalon VIII: Arthur in Avalon
- Seership and Divination II: Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, Clairsentience
Session 9: (May 31, 2014) In this lesson we explore the beautiful and mysterious faerie realms, a special dimension of Avalon and the Celtic Mysteries. You will learn some ways to open up to this dimension, including making a Faerie Altar and using music and poetry. We will also take some journeys there to encounter the denizens of the Hollow Hills, meet a Faery Guide and learn how to work with these Beings for the good of the Earth.
You will learn:
- Introduction to Sacred Magic IX: The Faery Races
- An Esoteric History of Avalon IX: The Faerie Realm of Avalon
Session 10: (June 28, 2014) In this final session, we move back around to the South of the Wheel of Life, the place of Merlin, who was originally the primary god and Guardian of Britain. We learn of his associations with Atlantis, which leads us to take an inner journey to this ancient realm. We then explore our own past lives in a regression journey and also work with our personal ancestors, which is an essential part of all magical work. Lastly, we integrate all our experiences around the Wheel of Life through the ritual, The Avalon Initiation.
You will learn:
- Introduction to Sacred Magic X: Ancestral Voices
- An Esoteric History of Avalon X: Merlin, ArchMage of Britain
- Past Lives and Far Memory